Tour Crypt of the Original Sin (shuttle included)
- Duration: 90min
- Price: from 25€
Visit the Crypt of the Original Sin, well known as the “Sistine Chapel of Rupestrian art”. Lighting effects, an environmental audio-guide and an atmosphere enriched by Gregorian chants will reveal the secrets of beautiful frescoes dating back to 7 century.
- defined the “Sistine Chapel of Rupestrian art”
- Adam and Eve and the Original Sin
- the Cave Church of 100 Saints
- the flower painter of Matera
- benedectine and beneventan art
Well known as the “Sistine Chapel of Rupestrian art”, the Crypt of the Original Sin is the flagship of the area, since it is considered the most ancient evidence of rupestrian art. Like any precious treasure, the it is hidden, surrounded by nature, overlooking the canyon. The frescoes inside depict Old Testament scenes related to Genesis, in particular the Creation and the Original Sin. Lighting effects, an environmental audio-guide and an atmosphere enriched by Gregorian chants will reveal the secrets of beautiful frescoes made by the famous Flower painter, with a benedectine style. A shuttle will be provided to reach the place and to come back in town.
The meeting point for the shuttle is in via Rocco Scotellaro n.4, at the agency of Matera City Tour (infoPoint A)
- Via Rocco Scotellaro, 4, Matera, MT, Italia
- Multi-storey car park, in via Rocco Scotellaro (exactly in front of our agency) € 1,50/h
- Outdoor parking on blue stripes nearby in via Lucana, via Gramsci or via Passarelli € 0,70/h or € 0,50/h (8:00-13:30 and 16:00-20:30)
- Central Station, 10 minutes walking distance from our ticket office